The Student News Site of The College Academy

TCA Heights

TCA Heights

TCA Heights

Orange Compost Bins: A Colorful Solution for a Greener Future

The+citys+new+orange+curbside+compost+bins.++
Anna Bradley-Smith
The city’s new orange curbside compost bins.

There is no doubt that our environment is in trouble.  And while so many solutions seem distant and outside of our control, one way to reduce global emissions and reduce trash is sitting right on the corner of 192nd street and Audubon Avenue.  But what is this strange orange box?  How will it help prevent climate change?  It’s a pretty cool way to help prevent climate change. You see, instead of throwing away your food scraps and other organic waste, you can put them in the compost bin. This helps reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills, which in turn reduces greenhouse gas emissions. 

According to https://www.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/084-23/mayor-adams-roadmap-nation-s-largest-compost-collection-program-including-achieving#/0, “In the world of waste management, orange compost bins are making a bold statement when it comes to sustainability. These vibrant bins play a crucial role in diverting organic waste from landfills, reducing harmful greenhouse gas emissions, and promoting a healthier environment.   By separating food scraps, yard waste, and other compostable materials, these orange bins provide an easy and effective way for individuals and communities to contribute to the creation of nutrient-rich compost. This compost can then be used to enrich soil, support sustainable gardening practices, and reduce the need for chemical fertilizers. With their eye-catching color, orange compost bins serve as a visual reminder to prioritize composting and make a positive impact on our planet.”

Orange compost bins not only make a difference environmentally but also foster a sense of community engagement. By placing these bins in public spaces and residential areas, local governments and organizations encourage individuals to take an active role in waste reduction. These bins often come with clear signage and educational materials, providing valuable information on what can and cannot be composted. This empowers individuals to make informed choices and contribute to a greener future.  Some people don’t immediately go for composting however. They might find the process of gathering food scraps disgusting.  

So will people in our community use these new orange bins?  What do our neighbors think about composting?  

I spoke with TCA science teacher Mr Jovani Cardenas about this issue.  

“Have you ever used an orange compost bin? How does it work and what do you think about it?”

I personally have never used the orange compost bin. I think it’s a great way to recycle nutrients and reduce our landfill impact. I think this type of compost will be especially helpful for local community gardens or parks as fertilizer. Compost bins work by introducing biodegradable materials such as paper and food scraps, to decomposers such as worms and bacteria. These decomposers break down biodegradable materials into their basic building blocks so that they can be used again by other flora and fauna in the environment.

“Do you know if orange compost bins are effective in reducing waste and promoting sustainability?

Making them orange captures people’s attention. The orange compost bin can bring important and simple information about their environmental impact and how to lessen it. This is a great way to inform, and have people involved in issues that affect all of us but are not as forefront as other issues. Oftentimes people just need to take one small step for it to snowball into a bigger positive effect for the environment.

“Have you seen orange compost bins in your neighborhood? Are they widely used and supported by the community?”

I have not seen orange compost bins in my neighborhood. I don’t believe many people know about this just yet. I think local community gardens and parks can benefit the most from this initiative. I think it’s important to start out small and really plan out how best to redistribute the compost, as its uses can be versatile for the community.

I also spoke with TCA student Alexander Roque about this issue

I have used an orange compost bin. The way the bin works is you pull the lid with the handle or step on the bottom to open it that way. I think it is an ok way to stop littering because they should’ve made the bin open from the top and that makes it easier to throw trash away.

I have not seen them in my neighborhood. Yes, they are used and supported and it’s great they are!