The Student News Site of The College Academy

TCA Heights

TCA Heights

TCA Heights

Ways to cope with school stress

https://unsplash.com/photos/a-person-drowns-underwater-rX12B5uX7QM?utm_content=creditShareLink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=unsplash
Many students fell overwhelmed at school.

Introduction to Student Mental Health

At the start of the school year  students are best at doing their work, turning in assignments and participating. The stress levels are low during this time, and usually, students are relaxed and confident about their work. Until they reach November. Students start to slack off and get lazy. They get unmotivated to do their work, and when the end of the quarter comes around, they stress themselves out with all the assignments they have to turn in. Some students don’t slack off, but they still end up being stressed trying to keep up with all the work teachers assign projects, exams, lots of work. When the season changes, there is a thing called seasonal depression, which mostly occurs in the winter when students are at their lowest and need extra support when it comes to their mental health and school. The questions we ask ourselves is, is school one of the main reasons students are stressed and go through mental health issues?  I asked my peers, “Do you think the school supports students when they’re going through tough times?”  

Student Perspective about Mental Health 

Jayden Sills, a sophomore here at TCA, says, “School affecting the mental health of students can go both ways. It could distract you from other problems in your life, but it could also expose you to negative influences. Some students resort to drugs and nicotine to calm themselves down and distract from their issues,not me though.When I first started my freshmen year here it was going bad but it started to cool down now and i’m used to going through things like that but it’s been easier now that there’s support.I don’t really think my mental health is important I don’t really care I just live and do what I have to do but workers like Ms.Pereira has been accepting, understanding and gave me resources.Okay so I personally think boys thug it out but I encourage people to talk to somebody help you through the situation and stuff. On the other hand, girls generally have better skills in dealing with mental health-related issues. They are more open to talking and listening. I guess for me I find myself more stressed about life, and I think my mental health has been declining. However, teachers like Ms. Monzon and Ms. Pereira has been helping me through these challenges.”

To further dissect our question we had a talk with the social worker here in TCA, Ms.Pereira. When talking we asked about what resources she provides when she has students come to her.     

Healthy Ways to Cope with Stress

“I think mental health is crucial, particularly in the wake of the pandemic. Many students find solace in having someone to listen to them. Interactions and meaningful connections play a vital role in their well-being.Teachers and staff play a significant role in providing guidance and support to students. It starts with creating a safe and trusting environment where students feel comfortable reaching out for help.A supportive environment goes a long way in promoting students’ mental well-being. When students know they can trust their teachers and staff, they feel more comfortable expressing their concerns and seeking help. The presence of caring individuals like Ms. Aponte and Ms. Hurtado creates an atmosphere of trust, allowing students to open up and receive the support they need.Students face a multitude of challenges, and it’s important to acknowledge and address them. Overwhelming school expectations can take a toll on their mental well-being. Recognizing that these issues are interconnected and require holistic support is essential to ensure students’ overall success and well-being.I believe school could not be the main cause of students being stressed but it could add on top of other things such as housing stress,need for future etc.A way they could cope is they could reach out, don’t engage in conflict, come to me for help,taking a break,affirming, I personally use affirmations to help me through tough times.”

Conclusion

In conclusion, prioritizing mental health has never been more important than it is today. The challenges and stresses that students face cannot be underestimated. However, through the unwavering support and dedication of teachers and staff, a positive and nurturing environment can be created.By fostering open lines of communication, building trust, and providing guidance, people like Ms. Aponte, Ms. Hurtado, and Ms. Pereira are making a profound difference in the lives of students of TCA. They offer a listening ear, resources, and a safe space for students to express their concerns.Let us remember that mental health is not a solitary journey. It is a collective effort, with teachers, staff, and the entire school community working together to create an atmosphere that promotes well-being. By acknowledging the importance of mental health and providing the necessary support, we can empower students to overcome obstacles, develop resilience, and reach their full potential.

Photo by Stormseeker on Unsplash