Follow up: Field and Athletic Facility Renovations

Update: Further renovations are underway

This week I decided to continue to discover what was being renovated in the George Washington Campus besides the Athletic Field and Track. I came forward and followed up that most of the George Washington Athletic Sports Teams,  and coaches are focusing on training in the weight rooms for their sports season and health benefits while other facilities in the Athletic Divison are being reconstructed.

What areas are they fixing campus-wide besides the athletic field?

” Okay, so we talk about the athletic field, but let’s not forget we are also fixing the track not just the green turf we are getting a brand new track as well which is very beautiful. Also currently we are fixing both pools we have two pools in those buildings and they are currently under construction. Don’t know when they are going to be finished because they don’t have an eta and ( estimated time of completion) but soon hopefully.”

How would this affect student’s fitness?

“Well the pool renovation are impacting the boys swimming team the most currently, but luckily it was at the end of their season. So, they do have swimming championships they have moved to riverbank so we were able to use another facility to practice for the championships. But, it also will affect the girls’ swimming team unfortunately and the football, because if we don’t know the exact completion we know that it will probably take up at least a year. So, the girls’ swimming team would have to also go to riverbank in September when their season starts to start practicing.”

First come first serve.

— Jodie Ferguson- Atheletic director

How can students who play spring sports prepare for their season?

” Well all the coaches have the kids involved in teams we are making some adjustments to practice for example: the boys’ gym will be used in a rotating schedule for the team that would normally be outside. But, the baseball and the softball teams have chosen for the most part to practice in La Marina since they got a new set of fields over there and varsity boys are going to look over a few parks around that the variety of boys coaching staff have already acquired. So, they will find some new spots around the school in New Amsterdam since there’s a park over there. First come first serve. So, that’s the only thing about is you got to get there quick, so if our teams get there quick is the more space.”

How can students stay active while these athletic divisions are being used?

” Well we still have the weight room we still have both gyms for the coaches to have for conditioning etc, and like I said the softball team will be at La Marina and if the weather turns well will go outside they will get their fitness exercise outside as well.”

Do you have any further information about the weight room?

” So, in the mornings I know Mr. Chumney he has a weight room weight training that he runs in the mornings  Mondays through Fridays from 7: 00 through 8: 00 Am and then also High School for Public Law Service our school is weight training with Chumney for boys and girls as well.”

How do you feel about the new field being renovated and working out with the students early in the morning in the weight room?

“ I mean, staying fit being active only leads to good benefits. So having a new field is going to be good to enhance the students who play sports. The weight room as I see the kids come in they are able to work out with their friends and is a good environment.”

Do you think this will help out with the students who join sports like swimming? 

“ I mean swimming is one thing like being in a pool, so for the kids playing on the actual field like baseball, basketball, track and field, softball, football then the weight room could help, and having a new field as well.”

Staying fit being active only leads to good benefits.

— Mr. Chumney- Track Coach-PE teacher Health ( Indoor and Outdoor Track Coach)

How do you feel about the field being renovated and working out with the students in the weight room?

” Well, the field and the pools getting renovated is awesome for the future of our kids and our school. I know that is a little difficult for us now that we lost the field for like 6 months and we lost the pool for 2 years for a greater cause. The kids will be able to enjoy a beautiful track and field not too many schools in the city have track and field. I don’t know any schools that have two pools so were very fortunate here at the GW’s to have all these facilities. We also have a carat weight room the kids come down in the morning from 7:00-8:00 am and they work out and we usually have a good fifteen to twenty students in the building who come to work out in the morning. We also have teachers to help and guide them and teach them how to use the machines to help them stay safe.”

How has your experience been coaching kids for twenty years?

” I love teaching here! everybody who knows me knows that, my last twenty years flew by because I have been having so much fun. I really enjoy what I do and the kids are great over here.”

Able to enjoy a beautiful track and field.

— Mr.Garcia-PE teacher Media ( Girls Volley and Boys Swimming Coach)

Uno va estar en forma o va  tener más energía, etc.”

— Oseres Gonzalez- Highschool for Media and Communications (Freshman)

“¿Cómo te sientes estando haciendo actividades en este gimnasio?”

“Bastante bien porque me quita estrés y me ayuda con mi metado físico y mejora mi salud.”

“¿Cómo tú te sientes que ellos están renovando el nuevo campo?”

“Me agrada porque en algún momento uno va a salir y va a practicar algún deporte y uno va a estar en forma o va a tener más energía, etc.”

¿Cómo tú te sientes entrenado en este gimnasio para prepararte para el deporte de fútbol?

“Yo me siento bien, o sea, me siento seguro, porque aquí puedo entrenar todos los días para ponerme fuerte y para poder jugar en el equipo de fútbol de la escuela.”

¿Has estado tus experiencias siendo nuevas en este gimnasio?

“No me siento muy diferente, me siento como toda una persona normal, todo me aceptaron aquí tal como soy y eso me gusta”.

Me aceptaron aquí tal como soy y eso me gusta.”.

— Edjar Toasa- Highschool for Law and Public Service ( Freshman)

¿Cómo tú te sientes entrenando en el gimnasio aquí, en la escuela?

“Me siento bien porque antes de clase estoy estresado y estoy listo para que lo que venga todos los días.”

¿Cómo tú te sientes como un multi atleta que está renovando el campo de la escuela afuera?

“Pues yo me siento bien porque me estoy preparando para disfrutar del nuevo campo”.

¿Qué esperas en el futuro en el nuevo campo?

“Yo veo mejores jugadas, mejor público, mejores videos, y una gran representación para la escuela GWEC.”

Una gran representación para la escuela GWEC.

Kevin Matos- Highschool for Media and Communications ( Junior)

¿Cómo ha sido tu experiencia entrando en el gimnasio con los chicos y chicas?

“Pues me siento bien porque la verdad la mayoría los conozco, entonces se me hace bien haciendo la rutina con ellos y me ayudan mucho”.

¿Tú crees que haciendo ejercicio aquí en el gimnasio te puede ayudar en tus competencias de natación?

“¡Sí! Es mejor ahora bastante con los ejercicios de brazos porque me da más fuerza y nadar más rápido.”

¿Crees que cómo están renovando piscinas te está ayudando en tu deporte o te está afectando?

“Bueno, yo creo que eso no afectará a nosotros, bueno, a lo que nadamos y tal vez no nos permitirían avanzar. Debería buscar otro lugar para practicar nuestro deporte y no podemos tener las oportunidades de practicar como antes.”

“Me da más fuerza y nadar más rápido.”