Volleyball Tournament: The Students vs Staff Rivalry Continues!

TCA students work together to score a point against the staff team.

The roar of the crowd filled the gym.  Two teams were standing face to face with only a net between them.  It was the annual teachers versus students volleyball game.  On November 21st during periods 8 and 9, a team of juniors and seniors played the team of TCA staff in the annual volleyball game.  The upper deck in the girl’s gym was filled with student spectators.  This annual tradition is a game to boost school spirit before the Thanksgiving break.  The games were close this year but in the end the student team beat the teacher team.  

Between rounds, TCA Heights reporter Simbala Dukure interviewed player Franmyl Ferreria and asked him how he thought the next game would go.   

TCA Heights: “Between the students and the teachers, who do you think is going to win?”

Ferreria: “ The students obviously!”

TCA Heights: “ You think you guys being tall and you guys playing this everyday is one of the reasons you guys are winning right now?”

Ferreria: “ Nah, Nah, they got some professional players you know [TCA PE teacher] Mr. Flores right here he’s good at everything.  He’s got tall players you know.”

TCA Heights: “ Do you think there are any good teachers playing right now? 

Ferreria: “Uhh, Flores, Mr. Egloff, Ms. Monzon right there.”

TCA Heights: “ Who do you think is the student that is carrying the students team right now.” 

Ferreria: “I am going to have to say Luis or Axel.”

TCA school guidance counselor Ms. Aponte was courtside for the game.  She expressed her feelings about students and teachers coming together.  She was cheering for the  students but she noticed the teachers were winning.  But Ms. Aponte expressed the real reason for the game.  “It’s fantastic [because] it brings the community into one.”

“It’s fantastic [because] it brings the community into one.” –

— TCA guidance counselor Ms. Aponte

Priscilla Francisco, who is an 11th grader at The College Academy was playing against the teachers was asked her feelings about the game. Francisco replied, “I feel like it’s going alright but I feel like my team could do better and start subbing.”   When asked about her overall feeling about the annual game Francisco stated “I like the school bonding and making us have a better connection.”

After the game TCA Heights reporters Beyonce Gomez and Nefertari Gomez spoke with AP Maisha Cadet-Duval.

TCA Heights: Why is it important to carry out these types of activities at school?

Cadet-Duval: “It is important because it is for our students to participate, so that they also see that there are other types of activities, they can get out of that comfort zone in which everything has to be tasks, or activities from their teachers”.

TCA Heights: How did you feel when playing with the students?

Cadet-Duval: “It felt very good since it is an opportunity to see how our students develop each of their skills. We can also see that there was a lot of teamwork on the part of each of the participants in each team”.

In the end both student and staff players came together at the end for a group photo, symbolizing the positive spirit of the day.