Music Club Life

Carolina Castillo

In the music club you can play a variety of instruments and learn to read notes. At the moment we have people playing Tenor Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Percussion Trumpet, Trombone, Baritone, Flute, and Clarinet.
When you first join Music Club, you are assessed to see which instrument is best for you and then you can also pick which instrument you’d like to play. You would most likely get your first or second instrument choice. Then you are taught the basic 3 notes for your instrument.
In my experience, band is very fun and learning the notes is challenging but worth it. Hearing all of us play in sync is rewarding as well.
Here’s what some students have to say about it…

“Ngl… I think it’s cool. Even though you don’t know how to play, you can learn how to play.” Katy Doumbia 12th

“It’s very fun but sometimes you meet a lot of weird people. It’s really fun. Though I wish I had gym.: Davina Dewar 10th

“El club de Band es un lugar no solo donde aprendemos cómo tocar un instrumento sino que creamos una comunidad donde nos divertimos y convivimos.” Vannia Porras Moreno. 11th (Early Grad).

Mr. Martinez says “Music club is going really well. I’m very passionate about teaching this. I’ve been playing instruments my whole life. Like piano lessons since he was 5. I’ve got my own keyboard and taught myself how to play it. I hope everyone in the music club takes pride in what they’re learning. I started the music club last year and I’m glad more people joined it.” His previous students have already grown so much. Went from 4-5 students to 15 students. He would absolutely recommend learning an instrument even if it’s just for fun. He wants people to feel like a community in his class. He hopes everyone tries something new and unique. People who have a lot of energy or emotion should try a band as an outlet. There are many instruments available for example Flute, Clarinet, Alto sax, Tenor sax, Trumpet, Trombone, and Percussion. As this group grows he hopes to get more different instruments. You can get so many opportunities in highschool and college from performing arts. He was able to perform in his band class when he was in school. His best years and friends were made in band class. ”